OS X Mountain Lion installation instructions
This article applies to Mountain Lion and newer, including Mavericks
If you are installing the eSpeakers Desktop Application to your Mac OS Mountain Lion and above computer for the first time, there are a couple of extra steps you'll need to take.
Until eSpeakers takes extra steps to register our software with Apple headquarters, the default security policies will prevent running our app. You'll see the message "eSpeakers is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.".
You should NOT move it to the trash. Instead...
Temporarily changing Mountain Lion/Mavericks Gatekeeper security during installation
Follow these steps if you get the error message "eSpeakers is damaged and can't be opened." when running the eSpeakers Desktop Application.
- If the error message "eSpeakers is damaged..." is still showing, click CANCEL on it.
- Under the APPLE MENU, choose SYSTEM PREFERENCES
- Click the SECURITY & PRIVACY icon
- Click the LOCK in the lower-left corner to permit changes
- In the section labeled "ALLOW APPLICATIONS DOWNLOADED FROM:"
- choose the option "ANYWHERE"
- Launch the eSpeakers app again, this time Mountain Lion shouldn't complain about it being "damaged".
- After launching the eSpeakers Application successfully, you can set Gatekeeper security back to your normal preference:
- Follow the steps above for changing the ALLOW APPLICATIONS DOWNLOADED FROM: setting to whatever you prefer. The default setting is MAC APP STORE AND IDENTIFIED DEVELOPERS.